A few reasons why a compressor might fail:
- Electrical problems – which is a major cause of compressor failure – including: faulty wiring done by the technician improperly wiring the compressor, low voltage, a bad or incorrectly-sized capacitor, compressor short-cycling or motor overload.
- Liquid flooding is liquid returning to the compressor while it is still running. Liquid droplets dilute the oil, which prevents the parts of the compressor from being properly lubricated, which in turn leads to wear of parts and overheating. Slugging is the return of a mass of liquid, usually refrigerant and/oil. Compressors cannot compress liquids and will lead to a broken compentant usually if slugging occurs. To prevent liquid flooding/flooback and slugging, an accumulator can used. It will act as a reservoir, keeping liquid from entering the compressor.
- Lack of oil, which as mention can be caused from liquid floodback, results in wear of the compressor, which will cause overheating and the compressor to seize up. Some reasons why the compressor isn’t properly oiled include: the gas velocity being too small to pick up the oil, a lack of refrigerant in the system, an oversized suction line, short-cycling or a blockage in the system.
- Improper control settings can lead to the overheating of the system.
- The only things allowed inside a refrigeration system is oil and refrigerant. Anything besides these is considered a contaminant, including air, scale, moisture or any kind of dirt. Contaminants can lead to system failure, so make sure that the system is clean and there is nothing besides oil and refrigerant in there, and even then, make sure those are at proper levels and not going into the wrong place.
Contact us today if you’re having troubles with your system’s compressor, and we’ll be sure to check it out for you.
Please check out our equipment page for more detailed information about the equipment we will not only provide, but install as well. These are but a few commercial restaurant equipment we cover!
• Walk-ins – Freezers and Coolers
• Chiller Systems
• Reach-ins – Coolers and Freezers
• Undercounter / Undergrill units
• Open Air Display Cases
Here are a few brands we have:
• True Manufacturing Company
• Delfield Refrigeration
• Beverage Air
• And many others.
If you need professional installations, preventative maintenance, and/or repairs, please give us a call!
Contact us today!
If you want any kind of commercial refrigeration equipment, such as reach-in coolers and freezers, beverage merchandisers and prep tables, B&G Refrigeration is your answer. We sell and install walk-in coolers and freezers.
We have brands including but not limited to Copeland, Heatcraft and Tecumseh.
Not only that, we have ice machines too! With brands such as Hoshizaki, Ice-O-Matic, Manitowoc, Scotsman and Cornelius.
Contact us for any commercial refrigeration equipment, parts and ice machines!
Are your pressure controls for your walk-ins’ refrigeration systems set up properly to avoid freezing up during the winter months?
Pressure controls are installed on many refrigeration units to enable your outdoor unit to cycle off when the outdoor temperatures drop in order to keep the refrigeration unit from getting too cold and freezing up your evaporator. If you’ve had this problem in the past or would like to avoid the possibility of this problem, contact our office and we can have the technician adjust your pressure controls for the coming colder weather.
It’s a good idea to have regular preventive maintenance. Ask your technician when he visits and he can tell you what is covered. We’re quite happy to arrange a maintenance program around your needs. Just give us a call or set up service through our website.